by The Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw
On the personal request of the Honourable U Nu, Prime Minister, and Thado Thiri Thudhamma Sir U Thwin, President of the Buddha Sāsanānuggaha Association, the Venerable Mahāsi Sayādaw, Bhaddanta
Sobhana Mahāthera, came down from Shwebo to Rangoon on 10th November 1949. The Meditation Cene at the Thathana Yeiktha, Hermitage Road, Rangoon, was formally opened on 4th December 1949, when the Mahāsi Sayādaw began to give to fifteen devotees a methodical training in the right
system of Satipaṭṭhāna Vipassanā.
From the first day of the opening of the Centre a discourse on the exposition of Satipaṭṭhāna Vipassanā, its purpose, the method of practice, the benefits derived there om, etc., has been given daily to each batch of devotees arriving at the Centre almost everyday to undertake the intensive
course of training. The discourse lasts usually for one hour and thirteen minutes, and the task of talking almost daily in this manner inevitably caused a strain.
Fortunately, the Buddha Sāsanānuggaha Association came forward to relieve the situation with an offer of the donation of a tape-recorder, and the discourse given on 27th July 1951 to a group of fifteen devotees undertaking the training was taped. Thereafter this taped discourse has been in constant
daily use preceded by a few preliminary remarks spoken by the Mahāsi Sayādaw.
Then, owing to the great demand of many branch meditation centres of the Mahāsi Satipaṭṭhāna Vipassanā, as well as of the public, this discourse was published in book form in 1954. The book has now run into its sixth edition. As there is also a keen interest and eager demand among many devotees of other nationalities who are unacquainted with Burmese, the discourse is now translated into English.
U Pe Thin (translator)
TẢI SÁCH EBOOK TẠI ĐÂY: SATIPAṬṬHĀNA VIPASSANĀmahasi_sayadaw-1951_satipatthana_vipassana (1)